Monday, August 16, 2010

I am living with a roommate that I would like to kick out & am wondering how to do it and if I have the right?

I moved into my 3 bedroom apartment in November with a girlfriend of mine. My dad is the co-signer on the lease, I am on the lease and so is she. We have been having problems with her paying the cable bills and she is also just a very horrible roommate. She goes in to my room and goes through my things and also smoke pot all the time and has completely taken over the apartment. We now have a third roommate that is currently trying to get on the lease. I have talked to my property management company and they say my dad as the co-signer has the right to kick her out but I'm not sure if we have the right. She has been paying rent to date but has currently lost her job. The rent comes out of my bank account and my roommates pay me in cash and I put it back in. So I have been covering for her bills. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Can someone clarify things or give any advice? Thank you!I am living with a roommate that I would like to kick out %26amp; am wondering how to do it and if I have the right?
Your father does not have any legal right to kick her out, that is complete bulls---. There are only 2 people who have the legal right to break the lease and make her leave, the landlord, who has to break the entire lease, evicting the lot of you, or your counties superior court judge, who will also end the entire lease.





Her rights to live there exactly equal your rights, no more, no less, the co-signer covers all of you and it does not matter who is paying for what.I am living with a roommate that I would like to kick out %26amp; am wondering how to do it and if I have the right?
What does ';on the lease'; mean?





If she is ';on the lease'; as a co-tenant with you, then the contractual arrangement is between her and the landlord - not her and you. Only the landlord can ';kick her out.';





If she is ';on the lease'; only as an additional occupant and YOU are the sole tenant on the lease, then you can ';kick her out.';
you have to give her the same amount of notice as she pays rent. so if she pays rent monthly, you have to give her 30 days notice before she has to move out. if she pays weekly, 7 days. etc

No comments:

Post a Comment