Friday, August 20, 2010

How old is too old to hide your religion and your personality from your family?

I'm 24. I'm about to graduate college, and my immediate family are all coming into town to see me for the celebration.





My family is very conservative and very -very- Christian. I am not. As soon as I moved away from them, I was finally able to live the life I wanted in the open and unabashedly. My room has an altar to my god, and is else wise generally decorated in ways they would not approve.





They'll be here in about a week, and as I was preparing I found myself starting to go through the usual ritual of hiding all of my religious paraphernalia and the odds and ends they would find displeasing, and I stopped. I'm a grown woman. Why am I still doing this?





What do you think? How old is too old to play these games with the people who raised and fed you for 18 years?





Oh, and if your only answer is going to be ';You should be a Christian, heathen, Jesus loves you,'; or something similar, save it. Please. That's great that you're happy being who you are, but I don't give half a s***t, and I'm not going to convert.How old is too old to hide your religion and your personality from your family?
My mom ';came out'; about her choice in religion (Unitarian Universalism) to her parents and brothers at the end of when she was in college. We still don't openly talk about our differences when visiting my moms side of the family. They are extremely conservative methodists and her and my dad are pretty liberal. I think it is different for every person though. I know some peoples families would actually cut off contact. I think what you should base it on is what your comfortable with. If you think they will freak and disown you, it might be worth it to hide it, or maybe it isn't. There really isn't a certain age that is too old to be hiding stuff from your family. Maybe reveal a little at a time? I hope all goes well if that's what you decide to do. :)How old is too old to hide your religion and your personality from your family?
I think that sounds good. Good luck! :)

Report Abuse



i wouldn't recommend you flaunt your religious or political views to people who are against whatever you're practicing. it's no one else's business, anyway. i don't see why it has to be brought up as a topic of conversation during a visit.





maybe you're hiding your personal items so you don't have to listen to hypocritical christian preaching.
I truley feel for your situation, but Jesus Christ is the answer and the only way to heaven. Please think about it.





You may not believe in Heaven or Hell, but that doesnt mean they arent real. There is still time for you, but please dont wait to long. We never know when our time here is up ya know.
For goodness' sake, let's eat some cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment